Department of Geography
Department of Geography
The Department of Geography was established in 2002. Initially undergraduate programme in Geography was started. The postgraduate programme in geography was started in 2010 and the first batch passed out in 2012. Since then the research activities was incepted that enabled to the Department to produce research centre Shaheed Nandkumar Patel Vishwavidyalaya in 2022.Naresh Bhaskar, Dr.Roshan Namdev, Mrs B.Khan, Dr.N.Guria in view of the notable contributions made by the Department in the field of teaching and research. Participation and offering help society-focused research, flood risk assessment, drought prone zone identification, landslide susceptibility mapping, coastal and seafloor landscape mapping, analysis of the impact of climate change, planning and mapping of the urban and cultural landscape, reviewing the health status of the underprivileged, and identifying potential tourism sites come to mind. In order to give students and research scholars a productive learning environment, the department is currently outfitted with a smart classroom, projector, a computer lab, Wi-Fi, a state-of-the-art GIS laboratory with cutting-edge and modern mapping software, state-of-the-art instruments, a separate departmental library, and a meeting room. Agricultural Geography, Population Geography, Environmental Geography, Regional Development and Planning, Social & Cultural Geography, Urban Geography, Settlement Geography, Resource Development and Management, Marketing Geography, Health Geography, Industrial Geography, Economic Geography, Physical Geography, Climatology The main thrust area of the Department is in the field of Agriculture Geography, Population Geography and Environmental Geography as identified by the CCOST Raipur sanctioned National Seminar (Jan 2016 ) National Seminar ( 2022) Respectively. Out of significance contribution made by the department in the field of teaching and research during the last five years.
The Department also has a Geographical Research Group such as International Geographers Groups Whatsapp Telegram, Youtube, Facebook Groups Academia edu to intensify research, to inculcate interest and to develop observational skills in Geography. Teachers and students participate in these meetings. It is a forum for research students and PG Students to present their works findings and to defend it. Thorough discussions also take place. The library contains one of the richest collections of Books and Journals of Geography. At present it has Books (reference and Texts Books) and Journals International and national journals through access N-LIST - INFLIBNET Centre. The Department has a fully equipped Cartography Lab, GIS Lab. and a Survey Lab.
- To establish the department as a prestigious, collaborative, and integrative research centre.
- To place our highly regarded department among the very best in the academic
- To perpetuate the legacy as an esteemed geography conservatoire so that future generations may
- Obtain the latest global positioning system Give regional planning a geographic foundation, such as rural-urban areas, etc.
- Encourage economic Give the strategy the geographic data it need. Utilize a GPS for navigational purposes.
- Use your geographic expertise for Utilize your geographic knowledge in the public sector. Make sure the student has a solid technological and geographic information foundation.
- To educate and enrich those who have been reached with geographic
- The department of geography is dedicated to providing top-notch instruction and research in a pleasant environment to help students from their futures on its abundant reservoirs of reputation and prestige.
- Using interdisciplinary research methods and working on joint projects with disciplines that are related to our own.
- To address through our research and education the growing human concern of global warming, climate change, and its effects on the economy, society, and human.
- To deal with the problems of environmental planning and disaster.
The geography graduate will feel at home anywhere there are spatial concerns to be thought about. Undergraduates should consider geography as a major for several reasons. One of them is the importance of employing Geographic Information Systems (GIS), remote sensing, and quantitative studies to comprehend how people and the environment interact globally. In a wide variety of occupations and professions, understanding spatial interconnections and having the ability to approach human-environmental links are desirable and beneficial. In addition to receiving training in research techniques such as data management, participant observation, participant interviewing, and statistical analysis, our students also acquire crucial communication skills such as descriptive writing, attentive listening, social comfort in various contexts, and public speaking. A general liberal arts education is collaborative and multidisciplinary by nature and equips students with critical thinking, team-based learning, and problem-solving, decision-making, and global awareness abilities.
- Students will learn about and develop awareness for how geography and culture are related.
- Students will develop the ethical skills and dispositions required to obtain and hold leadership positions in business, government, and professional • Students will have a grasp of and respect for the role that geography may play in community engagement.
- In addition to extracting, analyzing, and presenting information from a geographical viewpoint, students will read, interpret, and create maps and other geographic representations.
- Students will gain a general understanding of how differences in culture and personal experiences may affect our perception and management of places and regions through lectures as well as local, regional, and/or worldwide
- Students will have a general awareness of trends in the distribution and mobility of human populations, including aspects related to habitation, economic activity, and networks, as well as the effects of people on the
- Students will be able to use geographic concepts to comprehend the present and make plans for the future as well as spatial thinking to explain what has happened in the
- The general relationship between the physical environment, human societies, and regional and global economic systems will be understood by the
- Students will be able to create research questions and critically evaluate both qualitative and quantitative data to address those issues. They will also have a general awareness of the various theoretical and methodological techniques in both physical and human
- Students will be able to communicate their research findings orally and in writing, using visual aids such maps and other visual forms where They will also be able to explain their methods.
- Books in the departmental library
- Books in the library
- N-LIST - INFLIBNET Centre
- Subscribed e-Journals and e-Books
- Journals/Periodicals subscribed by the department
- Computers in the department
- Internet facility in the department WIFI
- Geography lab facilities for undergraduate and post graduate Laboratory in the department : Geomorphological model, Wall Maps, Rollup Maps, Aneroid Barometer, Arrows, Chart and Model, Compass( magnetic needle), Contour roll up maps, Dumpy Level, Engineer’s chain, Geometry box, Globe, GPS,GARMIN MAP-78,Q GIS LAB, Indian hill ranges, Maximum and minimum thermometer, Measuring tape, Models geographical terms, map of India and World, Plane table set, Prismatic compass, Ranging rod, Rain gauge, Rotering pen set, Theodolite, Topographical map, Geological map, Weather map, Light Tracing table, Wet and dry bulb Thermometer, Wind vane, Maximum and minimum thermometer, Measuring tape, Dumpy Level, Rock and Mineral,
- Audio Visual Projection facilities / Smartclass